Wednesday, May 18, 2011

potato soup

For the last year (at least, probably longer) I've been really lazy about cooking. So part of my "get over the winter into spring blues" plan is to start cooking more, especially since I'm not worrying about school anymore. So after finding a simple potato soup recipe I decided that was a good place to start.


I'm not vegan or gluten free, in fact I'm pretty far from either, but I brought this soup to a potluck and there was someone who was so excited that the soup was both vegan and gluten free that I was glad I hadn't changed the recipe too much.

This is the approval of a haiku writing master!

What I did change was instead of using green chiles I cooked green peppers with the onions (and added garlic). I also chopped up some mushrooms and sauteed them with liquid smoke so they would mimic bacon and added them after putting the rest of the soup through the blender.

Sweater: Gap, adopted from a friend
Shirt: swapped, stenciled by me
Pants: Old Navy
Belt: swapped

Also since dating Don (three years coming up in September!) I haven't really been eating peppers or mushrooms because he doesn't like them. He's more of a wheat-a-tarian than a vegetarian as he's very picky about his veggies, and I've adopted some of his veggie hang ups; peppers and mushrooms were never my favorites in the first place. So I wanted to reintroduce them to my diet by cooking them in a delicious way. I didn't mean to do them both in one go, but the soup was definitely a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment